Health IT Application Development
Health IT applications developed by FEI cover a broad range of functions needed to support government projects. Our collaborative development process allows us to design and implement a wide variety of applications, including grantee services, provider coordination, and federal reporting and compliance.
Examples of our health IT projects are included below.
Substance Abuse Treatment and Prevention
FEI’s primary area of Health IT application development occurs through our work with 27 states and multiple counties to deliver an open-source system called Web Infrastructure for Treatment Services (WITS) to track substance abuse and mental health services.
WITS is a web based and open-source application designed to meet the growing need to capture client treatment data and satisfy mandatory government reporting requirements for the planning, administration, and monitoring of Substance Abuse Treatment Programs. WITS facilitates cooperation and collaboration among providers by enabling the sharing of client treatment information via the web.
WITS consists of numerous clinical, administrative and reporting modules that are organized by the workflow process giving any organization a great deal of control to customize their system. Learn more about WITS.
FEi is a leader in Electronic Behavioral Health Records (EBHR). EBHR is a 5-year effort to design, develop, and deploy open-source information systems for “safety-net” health and human services. Our EBHR project has three main objectives:
- Consensus-based behavioral health records standards that are compatible with national treatment data standards.
- Interoperability between primary care providers and patients.
- Enforcement of patient privacy enacted under 42 CFR Part 2, which is unique to behavioral health treatment.
Through EBHR, FEi —partnered with federal agencies — is providing state-level guidance to the behavioral health community around the issues states, counties, and providers are expected to face in their move towards integrated state Health Information Exchanges (HIE).
Biomedical Research, Health Sciences, and Healthcare
FEi has demonstrated delivery capability for multiple organizations within the National Institute of Health (NIH), including the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI).
FEi’s other federal clients include the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
Expertise in this area includes:
- Health sciences informatics and computational services
- Health communication support services and enhancements to facilitate integration and data exchange at the federal, state, and local level
- Integration of health systems across federal agencies, and public and private healthcare systems
- Modernization and enhancement of existing health IT legacy systems
- Automation of administrative and clinical processes
- Biomedical information services
- Biomedical modeling, visualization, and simulation
- Scientific computing services
- IT clinical support services
- Healthcare payment processes, and fraud and abuse in medical claims
- Security of healthcare and biomedical research systems
- IT service management
- Healthcare systems studies
- Medical computer-based training
- Standards development for health IT services